• what information we collect from you
• why we collect it
• how we use that information
• how we share that information
• how you can change how we collect information and communicate with you
We encourage you to read this policy carefully. Please do not use our services or provide personal information to us if you do not accept all the terms of this policy. Your use of this site or giving us information means you are agreeing to this policy.
This policy may be updated from time to time. If you are subscribed to our mailing list, we will notify you of any significant changes.
What does personal information mean?
Personal information is data, that is non-public information that personally identifies you. This includes your name, organization/church, complete address, email address, and phone number, as well as sensitive information such as your financial information but we do not store credit card and/or banking information. It may also include information such as your personal preferences and the instructions you give us about how we communicate with you.
How do we collect information about you?
Information you provide to us:
We collect personal information you give to us directly. For example, we collect it:
• when you talk to us in phone calls or in meetings with our staff
• when you register for an account
• when you apply for conferences/seminars
• when you make customer service requests
• when you access https://barnabas.org or any of our websites, networks, or apps through your desktop, laptop, tablet, or phone
The information we collect from you this way can vary widely, from information about your personal information to a new e-mail address.
Information we collect automatically when you use our online services or register for an account:
We may automatically record certain information when you use our online services through your desktop, laptop, tablet, or phone. This may include your:
• IP address or other device address or ID
• web browser and/or device type
• the features of the apps you use
• the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after you use our services
• the pages or other content you view or otherwise interact with on our services
• the dates and times that you visit, access, or use our services
We may also collect information about your interactions with our email messages, such as whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded a message. We provide more information below about how we use technologies to automatically collect information.
Information we collect from other sources:
We may collect personal and non-personal information from third parties such as [Google Analytics, captcha, Google, etc.].
We may supplement the personal information we collect with information collected from third parties. For example, we may collect and use demographic and other information that is publicly available as allowed by applicable national laws.
We allow you to share information with social media sites. Those social media sites may give us automatic access to certain personal information retained by them about you (e.g. content viewed by you, content liked by you and information about the advertisements you have viewed or clicked). If you provide us with access to any site with video content, then you agree that we can share your video viewing with, or obtain information about your video viewing from, third-party social media sites for at least two years or until you withdraw authorization or connection to the social media site. You control the personal information you allow us to have access to through the privacy settings on the applicable social media site and the permissions you give us when you grant us access to the personal information retained by the respective social media site about you. By associating an account managed by a social media site with your account and authorizing us to have access to this information, you agree that we can collect, use and retain the information provided by these social media sites in accordance with this Privacy Notice. We may also use plug-ins or other technologies from various social media sites. If you click on a link provided via a social media plug in, you are voluntarily establishing a connection with that respective social media site.
If we combine or associate information from other sources with personal information we collect from you, we will treat the combined information as personal Information and treat it as described in this policy.
How do we use personal information we collect?
We use personal information to provide better service to you and to improve our operations.\
For service reasons
We use personal information to:
• provide donation processing and account preference management
• respond to your requests and questions
• verify your identity, including during account creation and password reset processes
• verify information with third parties for accuracy
• resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems
• provide information about our pre-approved and other promotional offers
• to detect, prevent, mitigate and investigate fraudulent or illegal activities
For learning about our users
We use automatically-collected information to learn about usage trends and preferences of our users.
This helps us:
• personalize our services
• personalize our communications
• keep track of how users provide information to us online
• monitor the use of our online services generally, such as the number of users and which pages they use, and how they respond to promotions
• develop new products
• improve our services for our users while keeping them safe, secure and operational
We gather automatically-collected information from all our online users, not just you.
When do we share your information?
We do not share your personal information with organizations or individuals outside of Client except as follows:
With your consent
We may share personal information outside of Client when we have your consent to do so. Please note that we do not sell, rent, or otherwise share personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes without your consent.
For service reasons
We may share personal information with:
• Third parties that provide website, application development, hosting, maintenance, and other services
For legal reasons
We may share personal information with:
• Law enforcement agencies, courts, or others when legally required, such as under a subpoena, court order, bankruptcy action, or other legal process, or to cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental officials
• Third parties when we believe it is appropriate to take precautions against liability, protect ourselves against unlawful activity, investigate and defend against third-party claims, protect the security and integrity of our operations, protect our property, enforce our legal rights, or protect the safety and rights of others
• Acquirers or successors as part of a merger, sale of assets, or similar transaction to which we are party (should this occur, we will continue to ensure that these privacy policies apply to personal information)
Generally, we limit the information we share to that which is reasonably necessary for these third parties to perform specific functions.
We do not consider personal information to include information that does not identify a specific user. This includes automatically-collected, aggregated, or other information that is anonymous. We may make this information available to third parties. For example, we may provide it when we comply with reporting obligations, carry out marketing activities, or study users’ interests, habits, and usage patterns.
Can you make changes in how we collect and use information, and how we communicate with you?
There are a variety of ways for you to change how we collect and use your information, and how we communicate with you. As described below, you may:
• choose not to provide us with information
• update your information
• opt-out of one or more forms of communication from us
• limit how we collect information automatically
• disable location services on your mobile device
Here is more information about your choices:
Not providing information
You may choose not to share certain personal information with us. That is entirely up to you. Not sharing some information may mean that we will not be able to provide you with some services, products, and online capabilities.
Updating your information
Please note that your ability to change certain information may depend on your account type and account status. We’ll let you know about that when we respond to your request.
Opting out of marketing emails, texts, mail, phone calls or faxes
Please be aware that if you opt out of receiving email from us or otherwise modify the nature or frequency of marketing communications you receive from us, it may take time for your request to be processed. We will attempt to process all such requests without undue delay. In addition, even after you opt out from receiving commercial messages, you will continue to receive administrative messages from us.
Changing how information is collected automatically
As discussed later in this policy, you can adjust the settings of the web browsers on your device to modify your cookie settings. This affects how information is collected automatically when you use your device.
Turning on location services on your mobile device
When you download or use our mobile applications, or access one of our mobile optimized sites, we may receive information about your location and your mobile device, including a unique identifier for your device. We may use this information to provide you with location-based services, such as advertising, search results, and other personalized content.
Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable location services on the device’s setting menu. If you have questions about how to disable your device's location services, we recommend you contact your mobile service carrier or the manufacturer of your device.
Using Do-Not-Track signals
We do not specifically respond to Do-Not-Track (“DNT”) signals. Some third-party websites keep track of your browsing activities, including across other websites on the Internet, which enables these websites to tailor what they present to you. Your browser may allow you to set a DNT signal on your browser so that these third parties know you do not want to be tracked.
How do we protect your personal information?
We use physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect personal information:
• We store and process personal information on our computers in North America where our facilities are located
• We use safeguards such as firewalls, data encryption, physical access controls to our computers, and authorization controls for information access
• We review and update our information collection, storage, and processing practices, including physical security measures, to help guard against unauthorized access
We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any personal Information, and you provide information to us with that understanding. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures on our services. Even after information posted on our websites is removed, caching and archiving services may have saved that information, and other users or third parties may have copied or stored the information.
If we learn of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you so that you can take appropriate protective steps. We may also post a notice on our websites if a security breach occurs.
When you use our website, we automatically collect certain computer information by the interaction of your device with our website. Such information is typically considered nonpublic personal information (NPI). We may also collect any of the following:
When you use our websites, we may send one or more cookies to your device. Cookies can be used to follow your activity on the website. That information helps us to understand your preferences and improve your website experience. Please review your web browser “Help" file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies from our websites, you may not be able to use the features of our websites to their fullest potential.
Third-Party Web Beacons
We may use third-party content or advertising on our websites that use various forms of web beacons, which allow the third-party content provider to read and write cookies to your browser in connection with your viewing of that content.
We may use third-party buttons (such as Facebook “like” or “share” buttons) that allow third parties to collect information about you through their browser cookies, even when you do not interact with the button. Information collected through web beacons and buttons is collected directly by these third parties. BI does not participate in that data transmission. Information collected by a third party in this manner is subject to that third party’s own data collection, use, and disclosure policies. BI has no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of the linked sites.
When does this policy apply?
This policy applies to your relationship with BI and its affiliates, if any, including both your personal and online interactions with us.
This policy does not apply to services offered by other nonprofits, businesses, or individuals, including other sites linked to our sites or that you hear about from us. Information you provide to third parties is provided directly to them, not us. It is subject to their policies, if any, governing privacy and security, even if accessed through our sites.
For clarity, we are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of those third-party sites or services, or for their products or services. We encourage you to learn about third parties’ privacy and security policies before providing them with information.
If you use our services from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, you should know you are transferring your personal information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing.
Changes and updates to this policy
We may change this policy at any time. For example, as technologies, laws, or user needs change, our websites and its features may also change. We will communicate these changes to you by posting them on our websites and/or by notifying you through email.
Your California privacy rights
Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, California customers are entitled to request information relating to whether a business has disclosed personal information to any third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. As explained elsewhere in this policy, Client will not sell or transfer your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes without your consent.
This policy is intended to supplement any federal and state laws applicable to us relating to the privacy of information we obtain from our borrowers and others.
Questions and instructions